Dr. John Talman
b. ca. 1762 Queens, NY d. August 10, 1834 Hudson, NY
Revolutionary Service: Private 2nd Regiment Orange County Militia
___________________________________________________
Giant in Hudson History, “Beau Ideal of a Gentleman”, Enslaver
By 1785 Talman resided in Hudson, where he married Heroine Jenkins (1767-1836). He was a physician, and one of the founders of the Columbia County Medical Society in 1806. He was twice mayor of Hudson. He was on the official committee to welcome General Lafayette on his 1824 visit to Hudson, while the eminent Frenchman was touring the United States. He was one of three people on the building committee for the 1818 almshouse, which still stands at the north end of 4th Street on State Street.
Lafayette Commemorative Plate, James and Ralph Clews, Stoke-on-Trent, England, 1824-1834
Offiical Mayoral Portrait, City Council Room, City Hall, Hudson, NY
Christ Church Episcopal, Hudson, New York was established in 1802 though this Gothic Revival church structure was built and consecrated in 1857.
He was involved in the founding of Christ Church in Hudson, and was its first vestryman, and later a church warden. In 1803 he served on the board of The Episcopal Sunday Charity School, the second Sunday school founded in the State of New York.
He was also an enslaver of two persons.
___________________
Forty years after his death, he was remembered by Dr. P.B. Collar in a talk at the Columbia County Medical Society:
"Dr. John Talman, of Hudson, was in the early days of the Society, one of the most popular physicians in the city. He was a skillful practitioner, and a man of very pleasing address. Of fine form, tall and well proportioned, with rare social qualities, he was the "beau ideal" of a gentleman. He generally presided at the dinners, and his ready wit and sparkling repartee, made him the spirit of the company."
Dr. John Talman’s grave,
Section 1B, Hudson Cemetery
