This is the "Stone Schoolhouse" built in 1817, the earliest schoolhouse in the area northeast of the Esopus Creek. It was in operation for 25 years. The schoolhouse was located on Van Steenberg Lane until it was relocated and rebuilt at the Ashokan Campus. It was donated to them by Vera Sickler and these pictures are from the dedication on October 26, 1985.
As Olive prospered and grew, so did the school ditricts. In 1875, there were 15 districts and 1090 children. The schools were valued at $5,935.00.
-"The Schools of the Town of Olive Through the Years", by Vera Sickler