Home HRVH

map

Port City, 1870-1905

99-101 Broadway was built in the late 19th century when Rondout's port economy was booming. These artifacts excavated in 2013 from the courtyard of the Reher Center's building likely belonged to the building's first owners and tenants. Irish immigrants Edward and Mary Cloonan ran a soda water bottling business there in the late 1870s and James Van Buren, of Dutch descent, owned a leather, hides, and findings business in the building in the 1880s.